About The Shrine Organization
Throughout its history, several events have marked the development of El Kahir Shrine. The inevitable peaks and valleys have affected membership, facilities, and programs. Through it all, whatever the circumstances, certain Masonic principles have always prevailed. Such things as Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth are exemplified in the activities of the Shrine. The Shriner’s Hospitals for Children and the Burns Institutes are the visual and outward manifestations of these inward qualities.
As we pause to briefly reflect, we do so with the realization that we do not rest on past achievements. The future is where we and our children will live. The Masonic creed of taking good men and making them better, underlies each activity sheltered under the square and compass and the scimitar and crescent. As we make our contributions to the present, we seal our future.
1. What is Shriners Hospitals for Children? – Shriners Hospitals for Children is an international health care system dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing pediatric specialty care, innovative research and outstanding teaching programs for medical professionals.
2. What does it cost for a child to receive care at Shriners Hospitals for Children? – There is no charge for any care or services provided within Shriners Hospitals for Children facilities.
3. What criteria determines a child’s eligibility for care at Shriners Hospitals for Children? – Children up to age 18 are eligible for care at Shriners Hospitals for Children if, in the opinion of our physicians, there is a reasonable possibility they can benefit from the specialized services available. Acceptance is based solely on a child’s medical needs. A family’s income or insurance status are not criteria for a child’s acceptance as a patient.
4. What are the principal service lines offered at Shriners Hospitals for Children? – Shriners Hospitals for Children provide treatment for congenital and acquired orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries and cleft lip and palate.
5. How are Shriners Hospitals for Children different from other pediatric hospitals? – Shriners Hospitals for Children is the only pediatric multi-hospital system in the United States that provides all care and services at no financial obligation to patients or their families. Shriners Hospitals for Children is also the largest pediatric sub-specialty hospital system in the world, with the largest full-time staff of pediatric orthopaedic surgeons in the U.S.
6. How does someone apply for care or refer a patient to Shriners Hospitals for Children? – Call the toll-free national patient referral line at (800) 237-5055 in the U.S. or (800) 361-7256 in Canada.
7. What is Shriners International and what is its connection to Shriners Hospitals for Children? – Shriners International is a fraternity based on fun, fellowship and the Masonic principles of brotherly love, relief and truth. Shriners International founded and continues to operate Shriners Hospitals for Children. The Shriners are active participants in the hospitals. Thousands of Shriners volunteer as drivers, transporting patients to and from Shriners Hospitals for care, and many others visit and entertain the patients. Shriners also serve as tour guides and volunteer in various departments at the hospitals. Many chapters also organize newspaper sales, golf tournaments and other fundraisers to benefit Shriners Hospitals for Children.
8. How can I learn more about Shriners Hospitals for Children and Shriners International? – To learn more, visit www.shrinershq.org. (Opens New Window)